Sunday, June 19, 2016

Why Would Anyone Buy One of These Things?

My New Ride :)
I ride quite a bit, and have always enjoyed my experience on a sport-touring bike (Kawasaki Concours, Honda ST1300, BMW R1200RT and most recently, Yamaha FJR1300). My most recent bike treated me well, never stranded me and provided over 40,000 miles of entertainment. Many parts of my body have been complaining about the riding position, and my many attempts to correct the issues have finally pushed me towards a more relaxed riding position.

I will admit I have pined for a Goldwing for quite some time now. I always thought that was where I was headed, but also thought it was still a ways down the road. My recent road trip proved to be the tipping point. So now I begin the next chapter of my riding on a Goldwing.

Too early to give any meaningful impressions. Slow speed maneuvers will take some time to get used to. It was barely noticeable at highway speeds, though. The bike feels very nimble for something this big. As I learn the quirks and mannerisms of my new bike I will post some of what I learn. Until then, I will unapologetically enjoy my plush new bike :)

2 comments:

Flip said...

Nice! Excited to see how it goes. It is due for a refresh in the next few years, but the existing platform is proven and has been tweaked and refined to the point that I'm sure it will be a great ride.

Tim Allen said...

So far, so good. Took a short ride last weekend to break it in a bit. Hard to tell at this point what I need to change on it. Stock is very comfortable, but a longer ride may reveal some improvement areas. Heavy as expected at slow speeds but surprisingly nimble at speed.